Monday 20 February 2012

rip aopen red thingy

Circa 2004, AOpen EZ65, With the delightful opening engrish passage in the user manual: "fun your life".
A subtle shade of bright red too.

8+ years of 24/7 use. Firstly as a (at the time) pretty reasonable Windows desktop; then as a no-hdd, usb bootin' webbrowser/kiosk machine; then a general purpose linux/samba/ssh/lamp/dns/virtualbox/general-shit-kicker server. I think I paid about $400 for it. So that's pretty good mileage.

I briefly considered looking harder into the reason it failed, maybe reanimating it Frankenstein-style (since I can't buy any new parts that would actually fit). But I figured it deserved some peace and quite after all these years of service without hiccup (until now).

I guess it's time to see if it's old duties can be services by a virtual machine now...

No comments: