Friday 25 January 2008

readynas is smokin' hot

I bought an Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ a little while back to "delay" (I dare not say "solve") some of our storage problems. It has worked perfectly for over 10 months and was, without doubt, the simplest computer equipment I have ever set up.

Unfortunately last weekend (after being out of the house all day, on a hot day) the expensive scent of burning plastic started to waft through the office. A brief nasal inspection of all the computer equipment revealed the fault was with the ReadyNAS. The stench of death lasted another 10 minutes before the unit switched off, never to return.

Fortunately it's still under warranty and should be RMA'd within the week, but it made me question my choice of the ReadyNAS. When I bought it, I was under the impression it was one of the most full featured and reliable home NAS devices you could get (I'm not a fan of Buffalo - dunno why).

After calming down, I remembered I was warned about this situation (and emailed) from Infrant way back in the cool of winter. I remember thinking "yeah - that's a good idea, I will do that..."

(so you know what that means)

I didn't, and now it's toast.

So tip of the day: If you have a ReadyNAS that needs the temperature patch and is not in an air conditioned office, apply the patch now.

It's still a great home NAS box and I would recommend it. But it's not quite as bullet-proof (when it comes to heat) as I hoped.

No comments: